Friday, February 15, 2008

It's All Sixes and Sevens

It's four in the morning, I'm watching Court TV, and for the Entertainment Section I thought I'd get a post in in honor of at least starting the review of an album for Ed.

Adam Green's latest album Sixes and Sevens is an expansion of this thing people are starting to call "anti-punk," but more so to describe whatever he did after The Moldy Peaches and Kimya Dawson (recently known for the Juno OST).

The album has this retro feel to it and while some of the songs are reminiscent of the weird transition between the 1970s and 80s, some have the potential to be singles. "Morning After Midnight" sounds like the background for a Bruce Springsteen classic, which takes some time to get over, but other songs such as "Festival Song" and "When A Pretty Face" make up for it.

Whenever I listen to Green, I can't help but think that a lot of the music he's making is a joke; there's something about his voice that says "Don't take me that seriously, even when I sound serious." He's got a more goofy tone that is similar to LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy on the track "Sound of Silver."

However, Sixes and Sevens is fairly catchy and surprisingly commercial. "Tropical Island" could be a parody of the opening music for a sitcom based in the tropics for its lazy and acoustic familiarity. It's definitely something you should steal online if you get the chance.

Now that it actually is 4 a.m., I don't feel so bad about going to bed.

No comments: