Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Coathangers Tonight in New Haven

Looking for something to do tonight? Cafe Nine may have you covered. The bar on State St. in New Haven will have The Coathangers and Guilty Faces playing tonight at 9 p.m.

Guilty Faces are pretty typical punk, so I'm going to skip them. Just like I would if I go tonight. Sorry. The Coathangers (pictured) on the other hand are a Hotlanta, all-female quartet with a really catchy sound accompanied by borderline abrasive vocals.

I know I said quartet and there's five in the photo above, but I'm assuming the dude is strictly for touring purposes as all their press photos just have the four girls. Or maybe they just really hate him. And I know I said borderline abrasive, but that can be seen as a good thing, depending on who you're asking. I personally love the vocals on "Tonya Harding" (on their MySpace) because the very punk vocals go nicely with the very poppy guitars/keys. It's the contrast that makes the vocals work.

So if you're looking to do something tonight and you aren't going to $1 bowling, this looks like a solid option. If they were playing Thursday-Saturday I would be there.

No comments: